CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Weekend

I have been EXTREMELY busy this weekend. EXTREMELY.
Friday night Miles and I met up with Vance and Dana. We let the kids pick out their Easter baskets (Miles had our help, of course). His had cars and a toy motorcycle in it and Danas had a Barbie Cheerleader, pom-poms and a megaphone. Next year I plan to do everything myself instead of relying on the store bought baskets. Which brings me to the topic of traditions.


Easter Traditions
As a mom, I personally think that traditions are extremely important for kids. It gives them something to look forward to. I did a little brainstorming, and came up with a few traditions that I would like to incoprorate into our Easter weekends.

* Easter Baskets - Kind of like a Christmas stocking, I would like to buy a basket for each kid and sit down to decorate both of them. Miles of course being in charge of his and Dana in charge of hers (I would help where I need to). We might start off next year with Dana decorating hers and Miles having his basket but without decorations until he's old enough. I would stuff them with the traditional chocolate bunny, a few eggs (not too many, we'll save that for the egg hunts) and then a few toys or crafts. I'm sure most of those things could be purchased from Target & Michaels $1 aisle. The first year, that might be a bit expensive considering the costs of the baskets, decorations, candy, eggs and toys BUT every year after should be cheaper, if not the same. I think using the same basket each year might make it a little more personal.

* The Egg Hunt - This year we went to two. The one that The Connection Church in Kyle, Tx puts together (it's HUGE and the kids LOVE it) and then one at Wal-mart. I'm not sure about the wal-mart egg hunt, but I would like to attend the one that The Connection Church hosts or the egg hunt at Riverbend Campus in Austin, Tx. Both of them are pretty big. However, after church on Easter Sunday, I would like to have an egg hunt for the kids while we're eating lunch at my parents (or wherever we end up after church).

* Pictures - I did schedule for us to have pictures taken yesterday as a family, but Vance was sick so I had to cancel. Miles and Dana did have one taken with the Easter bunny, that I will post once I get it. I think it's important that we take pictures for special occassions and holidays though.

* Easter Outfits - Miles has his, but someone else took care of Danas and she didn't get an Easter dress. Next year will hopefully be different though. I remember growing up, my Meme & Papa (my dads parents) would give my mom money every year to go buy me an Easter dress. It was a tradition that was very special to me and I hope to pass it on to my kids. The boys didn't get an outfit, but if we're going to be taking pictures then Miles will need one anyway.

* Dying Eggs - Of course, this is a tradition for most everyone. We waited to dye eggs until last night. My parents had all of their kids and a few friends of the family over for dinner. After dinner was over, Dana, Mia and Mateo (our friends kids) all dyed eggs. It was something that Dana had been asking to do and looking forward to all year. However, next time I will boil the eggs first. We were in a hurry AND I was afraid that the eggs would crack, as some do when you boil them, that they dyed raw eggs this time. Next year we will do it the "right" way.

* Going to Church - This one is really self explanitory.

* Easter Feast - Again, this is a tradition for most people... getting together with family and eating lunch/dinner.


I was thinking of hosting an Easter Brunch or something with friends and family every year but the truth is, everyone is so busy on Easter weekend that it would be nearly impossible. So, I think that I will just stick with it being just family and those friends who are available.

0 comments: