CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 12, 2009

What Kind of Hostess Are You?

I was checking out Kim Vallee's blog this morning (might I add, she's pretty talented!) and she had a link to a quiz that she took from Martha Stewart titled, "What Kind of Hostess Are You?"
I took it and our results were the same. I'm sure that some of our answers were different, but the same result none-the-less. For many people that know me, they know that I think Martha Stewart is amazing. I also look up to a few others... Kim Vallee and the ladies of Hostess with the Mostess

Sorry, I couldn't give her full credit without mentioning a few others that I have been learning things from. Anyway, Martha Stewart has made her own enterprise, which is awesome! Her hostessing skills and her crafting skills are spectacular! I know she has people who help her behind the scenes, but so do all successful hostesses. I know that when (and if) I ever make it big, I will have my people who will help me make everything and anything I do possible.

Anyway, the quiz results.


I really do need to step up my "game".
Now, I don't agree with everything the quiz suggests. I do think that you need to go above peoples expectations and add your own "wow" factor in there, but I also think there is such a thing as overboard. Here are a few examples.

Question #1: When Planning A Dinner Party, You Invite Your Guests:
The "Correct" Answer: A month in advance, 6 months ahead for a holiday.
My Opinion: I would let people know about the event a month ahead of time, only I would send out Save-the-Dates instead of the actual invitation. Now days, people get so busy that they tend to forget about things if they're not right infront of them. By sending out Save-the-Dates, they're aware of the event (and might even RSVP then), but the invitations will be another reminder. For holiday events, the Save-the-Dates should be sent out 2 months ahead of time and the invitations 1 month.

Question #2: Your guest bedroom includes:
The "Correct" Answer: "Fine bed linens in seasonal colors, a sitting area with a small library desk. a basket of freshly baked muffins and scones, a desk stocked with stationary, a list of local attractions, and a telephone directory, as well as an adjacent bathroom stocked with beauty products, cosmetics, a robe, slippers and plush towels."
My Opinion I think that when guests stay at your house, it should feel as if they're staying in a B&B or small Inn. I agree with fine bed linens, a few books, a few edible goodies in a basket for guests, stationary (in case they need to write down any notes, etc), an adjacent bathroom with beauty products? (lotions & shower stuff, maybe a mask or something), a robe, slippers, a plush towel, an extra toothbrush, a single flower in a bud vase, and a few bottles of water. I think that the room should be decorated to have a warm & homey appeal while keeping the B&B feel. Something that will make the guests feel welcomed and not that they're taking over someone elses bedroom.

Question #3: When A Guest Offers To Bring Something To Your Home:
The "Correct" Answer: Let them know you have everything under control, and a carefully planned and complete menu - they need only bring themselves and their appetites!
My Opinion: Unless it has already been scheduled as a pot-luck (which are quite popular in the south), I completely agree with this answer. As a hostess, your job is to host. If you look in the dictionary, a hostess is someone entertaining guests. It is your job to entertain them and to "serve" them. All that is required from them is their presence. I think that is a great rule.

Question #4: When guests are at your home for a weekend, what can they expect:
The "Correct" Answer: "A full itinerary of events, ranging from hikes to sampling local artisians' wares. The invite would have included a list of clothing and equipment to pack.
My Opinion: A fully stocked refrigerator, bar, magazine rack and media center that they can help themselves to and borrow from. I think that a few suggestions of local places to visit is nice, but a full itinerary of events? If you have guests in town, chances are they're there to see you and spend time with you and it's YOUR job to entertain them, not an itineraries. To me, it just has an impersonal feel to it. Again, suggestions are nice but don't rely on suggestions to entertain your company. As a hostess, you are supposed to HOST. It is nice to have plenty food, magazines and movies for your guests incase they need or want them. As far as food goes, buy things that they like to eat. Their favorite snacks, drinks, etc.

Question #5: For A Special Occassion, You Party Favors:
The "Correct" Answer: Are handcrafter keepsakes that match the theme of the party, wrapped in custom-printed packaging.
My Opinion: I think that's a GREAT idea! It's perfect for those who, well, are crafty. However, and I'm learning this as I work on the events that I'm hosting right now, not everyone is crafty. In that case, there are a few ideas that come to mind. First you could try to cater to something you can do. For example, bake (this is one of the possible answers on the quiz). If you make cookies or candies, include a handwritten note of thanks. I actually think that that might be the correct answer since it is personal. Either that or the one above. Either are great. A third option would be to just buy something, but make it something original. A small set of lotions or anything with fragrance won't work well unless you know each guests personal favorites and the scents that they can't stand. Otherwise, it will end up in the box for regifting. Do your research before you buy something. Etsy has some pretty amazing things. Either way, a handwritten thank-you note is awesome no matter what you decide to go with. If you don't have the time to do that, then just attach a little note that says, "Thank You".

Question #6: When expecting guests, you place the following near the bathroom sink for guests to dry their hands"
The "Correct" Answer: Hand-embroidered linens in seasonal colors and patterns; these are place next to the homemade hand cream.
My Opinion: Who has time to make homemade hand cream? I mean, if you do then that's awesome, go for it! For most of us though, we're either busy with work, taking care of our kids or one of the other 500 reasons we don't have enough time in our day to make handwritten thank you notes to a guest count of 200 that will be attending your wedding (I would hope that the handmade hand cream wouldn't really take THAT long). Maybe I should do my research? Maybe you could set one day aside to make 20 things of it and then store them until it's time to use them? I personally think that, soap, a soft hand towel and a bottle of nice lotion (since some soap has a tendency of drying out your skin) would be perfectly fine.

Question #7: Your Home's Entryway or Mudroom Includes:
The "Correct" Answer: A hand-stenciled sign reminding guests to remove their shoes, a basket of wool socks and slippers and an empty closet for guests coats and outwear.
My Opinion: I think that that is a great idea. Having them remove their shoes will cause less messes for you AND the socks will still provide comfort. I think that the sock idea is a must-have, especially for anyone with tile or hardwood floors. I hate it when my feet are cold! Of course, make sure the socks are new! Who would want to wear a used paid of socks? Maybe you could also include (part of one of the answers) a bucket umbrella stand.

Question #8: After a dinner party you've hosted, you do the following with leftovers:
The "Correct" Answer: Package them in parchment-lined boxes or food-service containers, tie them with a bow, affix a tag with reheating instructions, and present to each guest as they leave your home.
My Opinion: First, before the party even starts (add this to your grocery list), make sure you have enough containers so that each guest may take leftovers home. If they decide that they would like to take something home, put it in the container and affix a tag with reheating instructions.

Question #9: When expecting guests for a special occassion, your exterior lighting:
The "Correct" Answer: Includes handmade seasonal luminaries lining the porch and driveway.
My Opinion: I think this is a great idea IF you have the time. I do know that it's a pretty inexpensive craft, it's pretty and it's always nice to be able to see where you're walking. So, this is a great idea that I would like to start doing for each event that I host that lasts into the evening.

0 comments: